Charles Edward Mills (1889-1976) - 52 Ancestors #1

I'm joining in the 52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks blog meme and I'm already a week behind! LOL  Our youngest has been teething and needed a lot of cuddling this past week or so.  Now I have a little time to sneak onto the computer with both hands free to type!  This week I'm sharing a little about my paternal Grandfather Charles Edward Mills.  Grandpa Charles and his wife Margaret both died before I was born so unfortunately I don't know much about their lives to share.
Charles Edward Mills was born 19 November 1889 in Melancthon Township, Dufferin County, Ontario to parents Thomas Mills and Maria Grummett.
Charles was the second oldest child born to Thomas and Maria, Charles siblings were:
Thomas James Mills born 30 Nov. 1888
Sarah Lucinda Mills born 12 Jan. 1891
Hannah Jane Mills born 23 Aug. 1892
John Herman Mills born 23 Jan. 1894
Carrie Olive Mills born 11 Sep. 1896
Rosie (Rosa) May Mills born 27 Feb. 1898
Henry Stinson Mills born 30 Mar. 1900
Chester Roy Mills born 9 Jun. 1902
Edith Pearl Mills born 12 Oct. 1903
Velma Muriel Mills born 16 Jan. 1913

Grandfather Charles Mills



I was so blessed to receive a copy of a photo of Grandpa Charles Mills as a child.  He looks about 2 in this?
Charles married Margaret Alice Colgan on the 25th of September 1912 in Margaret's family home.  Margaret was the daughter of John James Colgan (1854-1928) and Indiana Lovica Badgerow (1866-1937).
This is a transcript of their marriage notice:
Mills - ColganThe marriage of Miss Margaret Alice Colgan, second daughter of Mr. and Mrs. John J. Colgan of Flesherton, to Mr. Charles Edward Mills of Melancthon, was solemnized  at high noon on Sept. 25, at the bride's home.  The ceremony was performed by the Rev. H.E. Wellwood, the bride's pastor.  The young couple were married under an arch, the house being prettily decorated with autumn leaves.  The bride was attended by her sister, Miss Sarah, and the groom by his brother, Mr. Herman Mills.  The wedding was quiet, only the immediate relatives being present.  After the service a dainty wedding breakfast was served.  Mr. and Mrs. Mills will reside in Melancthon, near Dundalk.  The best wishes of their many friends follow them.Flesherton Advance, 3 Oct 1912, page 4
Fall has always been my favourite season.  I bet the fall wedding decorations were beautiful!  I so wish I could see a photo of what it looked like.   I do have a wedding photo that was shared with me a few years ago by a cousin.

Charles Mills & Margaret Colgan Marriage

Photo received from Cindy Sawyer

While the photo wasn’t labelled as a wedding photo I think it is pretty obvious by the dress of Grandma Margaret!  The back row left to right is Sarah Colgan, Charles Mills, Margaret (Colgan) Mills, Jack Colgan.  Front row John James Colgan (father of Margaret), Jessie Colgan, MaryAnn Colgan, Davy Colgan, and Indiana (Badgerow) Colgan (Mother).  The youngest child of John and Indiana Colgan, Albert was born the summer after Margaret and Charles Mills married.
Charles and Margaret farmed in Melancthon township for most of their lives before retiring and moving into the town of Dundalk.
I don't have a clear picture of what their home farm looked like but the 1921 census gives some clues.  It shows that Charles and Margaret owned their own home, that it was made of wood and contained 3 rooms.
I do wish the census had listed the exact lot and concession number so I could tell where that farm was!
They had 6 children Alice Odeca, Charles Roy, John Emerson, Thomas Nelson, Margaret Aileena and Norman Leslie.
 Do you have information on this family or are you related?  I’d love to hear from you!









Labels: , , , , , , ,